The removal of silver fillings remain a controversial subject to this day. We know mercury contained within silver fillings to be toxic to our nervous systems as well as to the environment. Some countries are considering the evidence received so apparent, that they banned the use of amalgam in 2008, amongst them Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
It is nessesary to consider replacing these fillings when:
- You grind your teeth
- Eat acidic foods or drink a lot of fruit juices
- Drink a lot of carbonated drinks, i.e. Coke, Sprite etc.
- Tooth decay is detected underneath the filling (confirmed by a digital radiograph)
- Cracks appear in the filling and/or missing pieces of the filling
- If the silver filling appears black. This means there has been further corrosion of the filling and is an indication of a failed or defective filling
Dr Engelbrecht have been replacing old silver fillings safely for many years and only use the best quality material when replacing these with white fillings.